SPORT - MANUAL TRANSMISSION TROUBLE SHIFTING

1995 Jeep Cherokee • 6 cylinder 2WD Manual • 190,000 miles

1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport - manual transmission trouble shifting, especially into reverse. Any way to diagonos the slave cylinder or master cylinder?
Jbdfib

Just look for the leak. You ran out of fluid because one or both is leaking.

Wrenchtech
I added fluid 2 months ago and car had been working fine until last week. Fluid level is still at full level, but shifting to reverse is not possible when vehicle is running. Other than a fluid leak, is there a way to diagnos which has an "internal" leak.

Jbdfib
YOU MUST SORT THRU AND FIND WHAT MAY BE "LEGIT" AND POSSIBLY BE AN AID TO YOU

SOMETIMES THIS STUFF EXPLAINS THINGS WELL

LET ME KNOW IF IT GOT YOU GOING!

There is no such thing. The fluid leaks externally and then it sucks air into the system.

Wrenchtech
MISSED THAT!

INTERNAL LEAK IS REALLY NOT A LEAK, IT'S THE PLUNGER OR "O" RINGS NOT SEALING INTERNALLY, THUS LETTING THE FLUID SLIP PAST.I EVEN KNEW THAT!

So is there a way to tell whether it is leaking into the master cylinder vs the slave cylinder - other than looking for dripping?

Jbdfib
Is it possible that the clutch has worn to the point where the piston cannot extend far enough to disengage the clutch, yet the clutch doesn't slip while driving?

Jbdfib
No, that's not possible. It is possible to have a damaged pressure plate that won't disengage totally but you can tell by the feel of the pedal. If you have excessive free play, it's a hydraulic problem.

Wrenchtech