CLUTCH WON'T ENGAGE OR DISENGAGE

1995 GMC C3500 • 100,000 miles

I replaced the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. There was no pressure on the clutch pedal so I assumed it was only a hydraulic problem. Slave cylinder is working fine now, but clutch won't engage. There were no problems with the clutch before this. Am I missing something simple or is it the throwout bearing?
Milo

Sounds like you have air left in the system. You need to bleed this system completely. If it worked before then it should work again.

I bled the system until I was sure it was good. Do I HAVE to use a vaccuum for this?

Milo
It is best too. Air is real tough to get out without it.

I'll try that. Thanks

Milo
Good luck

Still no joy. I don't have a vaccuum, but I tried filling the line from the bottom with a pump. I tried unbolting the slave cylinder, holding it vertical and depressing the shaft and only got a couple of small bubbles. Still won't even break the plastic strap on the slave cylinder but I have good pedal pressure, just can't get it in gear. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Milo
Still sounds like an air issue. Did you gravity bleed it too?

I tried everything but a vaccuum. How much travel should there be on the slave cylinder? Even if the clutch is slipping, shouldn't I be able to get it into gear? Thanks.

Milo