SOME SMOKE COMING FROM SILVER THING ON ENGINE

1995 Geo Prizm • FWD Automatic •

I have a 95 geo prizm. I noticed that the brake pedel was slowly going to the floor. I didn't notice any leaks so I just added brake fluid and it seems to be fine for now. Problem is I noticed some white smoke comming from the front of the engine near the aluminum thing with styrofoam in it. I have had replaced the valve cover gasket some months ago and it had a blown seal over one of the spark plugs so I replaced it. Anybody know what the silver thing is called and does it have anything to do with the smoke coming out of the engine. Its a small amount of smoke and I noticed an occasional smell in the cab of the car.
Brantcoyle

Also is this thing safe to drive like this?

Brantcoyle
I am not sure what you are referring to and it could possibly be an after market domponent. How about posting a picture of the component you are referring to?

The brake pedal sinking to the floor indicates an internal leak of the master cylinder and is going to deteriorate further.

For the engine, ensure you have sufficient engine oil. It is ok to run the engine but for the brakes, being a safety issue, you should get it resolved as soon as possible as the brake can fail anytime.

Yeah the question is not answered. Its the silver thing just under the spark plugs. It has holes with styrofoam in it. It is smoking in the seam on the top of it. The brakes are find just probably worn. I added some brake fluid and its ok for now. Will replace later.

Brantcoyle
I went to an auto parts store and they suggested that it was safe to drive. They thought that I spilled antifreeze on the engine but it is definately coming out of the top seam of the silver thing

Brantcoyle
Do you mean the part I circled in red? If yes, that is the exhaust shield. If oil or other contaminants are splashed onto it, it would result in smoke being emitted because it is hot when engine is running. It shoudl operate dry and only external contaminations can result in it emitting smoke and nothing to worry about. The smoke would go away once whatever that has been spilled onto it has dried out.

If the valve over is leaking engine oil, it would flow down to it and cause the smoke as well. You would have to rectify the engine oil leakage to prevent smoke from being emitted.

I just did the valve cover and it is tight. It seems to be coming from a leak in the gasket and the smoke is white. I am going to assume that I have some kind of coolant leak somewhere because it seems that my car is using coolant. I won't worry about it for the moment but may take it in later. Thanks for identifying the part. I have another question but will ask that in another area.

Brantcoyle
If you remove the shield you might be able to locate the coolant leak under it if it is leaking from that area. There are some water jackets under the exhaust and if coolant losses are substantial, you have to be careful not to overheat the engine which can ruin it.

The auto parts store people mentioned coolant splashed onto the shield and coolant would have a sweet smell when heated up, therefore the leak coming from there makes sense.

Heh. I put the strap back on the fender so I wont be back in there any time soon. I am not noticing smoke coming out of the hood any more but your right. I may have a small coolant leak coming out of there. I will take that off at some time and have a look around. Thanks alot for all the info.

Brantcoyle
You're welcome.

Have a nice day.