95 SURGES WHILE DRIVING

1995 Ford Escort • FWD Manual •

My 95 ford escort has a rattling sound when I first start it. In gear it speeds up and slows down. Then engine sounds fine. What could it be?
Brantcoyle

Rattling can be either the exhaust heat shields have a broken weld, or the catalytic converter broke up inside and is rattling. Surging may be due to the converter restricting the exhaust, or a vacuum leak, or bad MAF(mass air flow) sensor. Is the check engine light on?

Merlin2021
Nope no check engine light is on. The transmission was recently replaced. Its rought when you put the gas on and lacks power. The engine runs smooth though.

Brantcoyle
Check the converter.

Merlin2021
Yeah, the guy came out and said it was the air conditioner though he didn't drive it around. It did seem a little rougher with the air conditioner on. He proclaimed it good enough for a crappy old car and didn't charge anything.

Brantcoyle
Ford's have been notorious for breaking welds on catalytic converter heat shields. Every Ford I've owned has had the problem, including the 3 Escorts I've owned.

Rivermikerat