CHEVY Z71, TURNS OVER, WONT RUN

1995 Chevrolet Truck • V8 4WD Automatic • 138,000 miles

Truck ran strange last few days, Would try to cut out like it lost electrical & would kick it self back on, after a couple more days, it would stall, but start back up, alternator gauge would drop to zero each time it quit. When it finally quit for good, no dash warning lights would come on, warning buzzers wouldnt work either, act's like instrument cluster has no power. Checked fuses, all seem good. There is power going to ignition fuses but using a test light, no power to distributor ( probed pink wire with black stripe with ignition on) Truck does turn over which makes me curious as I was thinking it was the ignition switch & it wouldnt turn over if switch was bad would it? At a loss as to what to check next. Truck showed no codes before it quit
Rebzilla

Also changed fuel filter thinking it was clogged when problems started. Truck ran great with new filter & didnt cut out, but when it stalled last, all dash warning lights went out, & wouldnt start back up.

Rebzilla
The info I looked at was for 5.7L engine. The pink wire carries voltage from ignition switch to ignition coil then to distributor. Diagram below.

But if the ignition switch was bad, would it still turn over?

Rebzilla
There are several circuits that come off the ignition switch other than the crank position. Is the pink wire hot at the coil, key on? I can give you a wiring diagram for ignition switch, if you need it?

Did you check the fuse circuits below? Goes hot whith the key on.

Fuses hot with key on, wires to distributor have no voltage at all with key on, so yeah, probably that darn switch. Thanks much!

Rebzilla
Is it hot at the ignition coil, pink wire? I didn't look to see if coil was in the cap or where?

Coil not in cap, but no voltage going to it I could find using a test light.

Rebzilla
Coil in front of distributor. Checked all wires going to it & from it, also checked all wires going to distributor. No voltage.
Power box under hood ( fuse box ) shows power to fuses. Will be taking ignition switch out. Thanks again : )

Rebzilla
Check the feed to/from ignition switch, before you do anything. Check maxi fuse 6-- 40 amp for voltage, hot all the time, red wire D5 in diagram. Pink wire is feed from the ignition switch, goes hot with the key on.

Page 1 of 2