MY TRUCK MAKES A SHHHH SOUND WHEN I ACCELERATE THE AIR PEDAL.?

1995 Chevrolet S-10 • 64,000 miles

I had my catalytic converter checked that's not it, plus my truck jerks if I accelerate to fast also I can press the air pedal all the way down and it wont speed up at all, I checked my transmission, it switch gears my belt is good. So, over all I hear the "sHHHHH" sound only when I accelerate the air pedal, and when I accelerate fast from stop position it wont move fast it will climb RPMS slow.
Jojos10

Sounds like the cat converter is clogged. Have the back pressure checked to verify

Did you check for trouble codes? Is the Malfunction Indicator Light showing?
Noise described seems to indicate a leak somewhere or clogging in exhaust system.

Roy yes it was checked, also, no cel comes on.

Jojos10
How was it checked? What was the back pressure measurement?

I saw him put his hand over tail pipe.

Jojos10
Thats not a test. It can still pass enough exhaust to feel it but not let the engine breathe.

Thats why you need to measure the back pressure.

@ Roy I just had my cat converter installed a month ago my engine is good, it never blow black smoke out the tail pipe also, thank you for taking the time to help me with this problem.

Jojos10
Sounds like a gross vacuum leak actually, something intake side or brake booster. Those are the biggest lines you have in the system ( 1/4 ) some larger. Especially if its leaking to the booster that will cause a whole host of issues. If vacuum is dropping in the system it also could be shutting down the fuel pressure regulator which would allow more fuel into the rail under hard acceleration.

Evolve960
I found out it is the EXHAUST manifold flange gasket. May I ask will this cause all these symptoms?

Jojos10
Yes, exhaust leaks can cause performance related issues. Have it rectified first.

Page 1 of 2