HOW WOULD I REWIRE AROUND THE SECURITY SYSTEM?

1995 Chevrolet Lumina • 170 miles

This car has what seems to be typical occasional no start problems that seem to be in the security system. Switch & keys have been changed in the past few yrs, I occasionally clean keys & switch w/ electronic cleaner. Sometime when tis condition occurs, the security light on dash does not light during key on prestart. Anyone found a solution to this or can the security system be wired around in a relatively simple way? Tia mike d
Md67cpe

Re the above question, I should add that when it doesn't start, it doesn't crank at all. It eventually will start, at varying wait times. There is no juice at starter when this occurs. Mike d

Md67cpe
According to forum rules, I'm not allowed to tell you how bypass the security, even if I knew how. Any applicable trouble codes? When the problem occurs, you can check the starter circuit. Any testing, make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set.

Thanks for the reply, jdl. Probably for the best. No codes--just no crank. Found on here how to make the system relearn--i guess we must be doing that without realizing it when this happens. It seems to run in spells, going a long time in between "fits". Thanks again. Mike d

Md67cpe
Is there a pellet in the key? There is info all over the web about bypassing that pellet, but, if the problem is elsewhere in the security system, that bypass won't work.

You could use a remote starter button on the starter solenoid, to see if it will crank? The leads on mine aren't long enough to get me away from the vehicle, You have to be sure the tranny is in park or neutral and a functional e-brake is set. Even if you can crank it, if security issue, it still won't start, because of fuel enable.

Below is wiring for your starter.

Here's what you need but as JDL stated, this will only resolve an ignition key sensor issue. The rest of the system has to be working and cannot be bypassed.

The most common failure in these is the sensor in the ignition lock that reads the key pellet. That would mean replacing the ignition lock with a sensor included.

That sensor can be bypassed. You would need a digital ohmeter to measure the resistance of the pellet in the key. Now go to Radio Shack and buy a resister of the exact same value as the key pellet. Go to the base of the steering column and locate the two thin white wires that go up to the sensor. Cut the two wires and solder the resister between the two ends coming from the harness. This will permanently bypass the sensor but not the rest of the system.

Below are the key resistance choices.

Wrenchtech
Thanks for the extra info, people. I have tried to jump the car at the starter & it wouldn't stay running. This system would seem like a better idea if your ins co would give you a discount -- haha. If it becomes chronic again, I may have to do the key resistor bypass. Last coupla days i've been straightening out a little rt frt damage from my wife inadvertantly hunting deer. Thanks again. Mike d

Md67cpe