IGNITION

1995 Chevrolet Lumina • 96,000 miles

Car sometimes starts and other times does nothing when ignition to start.
Had battery and starter checked - both good - activated solenoid by jumping terminals - starter cranks motor. Could it be the ignition switch or key lock - why would it be erratic?
Condition more frequent than when first started.
Dan
Dfolaron

Dan: Have you checked the starter relay?

Thanks for reply - Is that the same as the ignition switch located on the lower end of the steering column?
I see no mention of a starter relay in my Haynes manual. Where would it be located?
Dan

Dfolaron
Sorry, I was thinking it was an 05 not a 95. IF it has a starter relay, it will be under the hood in the relay box. If it doesn't, chances are the ignition switch is the problem.

THANK YOU from this old retiree - will proceed with replacing the ignition switch

Dfolaron
Did the relay help? I have the same problem

Lz1zjj
Yes, it was the ignition switch. A difficult replacement job since you need to disattach the steering column, remove the switch in tight quarters and very difficult to remove the wire bundles.

Dfolaron
Glad you got it fixed.