APPROX COST TO REPLACE FRONT WHEEL DRIVE AXLE AND HUB ASSEMBLY

1995 Chevrolet Lumina • 150,000 miles

High pitch vibration humming coming from front area of car at highway and intercity speeds getting worse everyday. Hum goes away when car is veering to the right in a curve or slow turn. Initially thought it was from the new tires, but it was not.

Low Track light comes on and stays steady (not blinking)when car is on and in use.

The hum is getting louder and does not fade as much when veering right. It use to go away completely when even a slight veer to the right was made.
Djsdesign

Hi well depends on how much the bearing you buy is normally 100 for part some more some less.2 hrs labor so you could be looking at from 150 -250 estamate

Billymac
Thank you. Can you give me your opinion on my sub-question/statements regarding the high pitch hum when driving that goes away when veering right? Also the Low Track light comes on and stays on steady when car is on.

Djsdesign
Yes this is typical of a bad wheel bearing and also the abs sensor will most likely be connected to the same problem. So most likely replaceing the wheel bearing will cure both of these concerns. Good luck

Billymac
THANK YOU BillyMac! This is what I needed to hear. The test now is to determine which wheel (frnt driver's side or frnt passenger side). So if you have any ideas as to how to find this out, I'd sure apprecaite hearing back. When in the car, the driver says he hears the hum more prevalent on the driver's side and the passenger believes they here it more on the passenger side. So it's been hard to determine which wheel has gone bad. The humming is so bad and so loud that it's difficult to determine which side it's coming from. Thank you again for your help!

Djsdesign
Hi most likely they are both bad it is common for noise to be from both but one is always louder replace the loudest first then if still noisy replace the other.

You can raise front wheels grab tire top and bottom side to side the one that has the most movement is the worst. However no movement is acceptable

Billymac