HOW TO CLEAR ENGINE & TEMP/WATER LIGHTS ON DASH AFTER REPAIR.

1994 Saturn SL1 • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 155,000 miles

You helped me last week with replacing my driver's window. Thank you. Now I have been running my fan on a toggle switch since I bought it 1 month ago. I put in a new temp sensor (2 wires), and now the service engine light and the water/temp light are on and won't come off. I've taken the neg off the battery-no change. I've taken both fuses out of the PCM B & the PCM, and still no change. Help please!

Kgraham82

Just to get this straight you replaced the bottom sensor with two wires going to it?Because that is the one that tuns the fan I would also inspect the inside of the connector if its green or blue you have to replace the connector also. Now your light is it thr one that looks like a thermometer?If so that is he temp light and low coolant level light. Is your coolant low?I always fill the bottle to the seam. Also is your cooling fan turning on at about 3/4 on the gauge?Thats where it should come on at.

Yes it is the temp light & service engine light. Fluid is full up to the line. Fan turns on about 2 mins into starting car now, so below 1/4 line. Will go check the connector now.

Kgraham82
There is your poblem the fan is turning on way to early the computer must think the engine temp is way higher then it is. Are you sure you didnt put a gauge sender in place of coolant temp sensor?There has to be too much resistance in that circuit. Because with the sensor unplugged it reads at -40 degrees on the computer.

Now if I checked the right thing, the plug that connects to the sensor, then it has a red ring at the bottom of it, the a white housing that the 2 prongs go into. No blue or green anywhere.

Kgraham82
The sensor you replaced should have brown connector where you plug it in.

I ordered a temp control sensor. My receipt says Temperature switch part # BLU TS-356.

Kgraham82
The old one did, like a rubber brown. The new one has a copper casing on the end that goes in.

Kgraham82
Ok. Took out this one. Glad I kept old one, put that back in, lights went off, and now going back to parts store to get the right one. Thank you again for all of your help. I hope this works!

Kgraham82
So does the fan come on at about 3/4 on the temp gauge now?

I've now gone to Napa, WesCan, Lordco, Princess, CTire and 2 GM dealers and cannot get the right one. They all come up with the copper end with the flat head and not the brown rubber round one. I'm ready for the stick of dynamite! I don't know what to do now. GM said it should be the right one but they don't make Saturns anymore.

Kgraham82
Page 1 of 2