VIBRATION, CLUTTER

1994 Pontiac Sunbird • 2WD Manual •

The vibration has been there, for quite sometime. A friend, said I need a wheel- bearing. Took the wheel off and found out, that the wheel bearing nut was quite loose. So it was tidened. The vib. Is still there. So, I put on new balanced tire-4. Would the bearing now be worn out.
Snale

Is there a humming noise also with the vibration? If so the one of the wheel bearings is probaly bad, A test I use to determine what bearing is bad is to put the car on a hoist, in neutral, spin the suspect tire(s) with one hand, while grasping the strut spring with other hand. A bad bearing you will feel the roughness in the spring as you turn the tire, a good bearing will spin smooth, generally with nothing felt in the spring.

PROTECH1980
When you say humming, do you mean humming from the bearing or the tires it self? There's a bit of humming, very low sounding. The vib. & Chutter happens more at 60-65 km/hr, at 4th gear with a little excilration. I was thinking it maybe the rotors, because it chutters a bit with heavy braking. The rotors are chipped around the edges. The steering wheel shemmies just a little, no pull, maybe the alinment, I was thinking too. Thanks, Dale

Snale