CAR WON'T GO

1994 Plymouth Voyager • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 200,000 miles

94 plymouth voyager v6 3.3 engine. Was driving the van and going about 50mph the van jolted and heard a bang type a noise and then when I tried to accelerate the rmp's went up but the vehicle didn't accelerate.I put it in neutral and coasted to the side. When checked under hood the transmission oil gauge stick had smoke coming out of it.I started engine and it still shifted no problem, however when I put it in reverse you hear a clinking type of noise the entire duration of it being in reverse. Try to give it gas in drive and still won't go. When I hauled it home I had a buddy chain it up to his truck.I had enging on and in neutral and vehicle didn't budge. Had to turn engine off and put in neutral in order for vehicle to move. Can you tell me what is broken?
Theronperez

Sounds like the pin broke in the final drive gear. You'll have to remove the rear differential cover to check that. Very often that pin backs out and cracks the transmission case.