WHY WON'T SCANNER GIVE OUT CODES?

1994 Mercury Marquis • 73,000 miles

Check engine light came on, although it doesn't stay on, hooked car up to my Sunpro scanner that I've used many times making sure the battery was good in it. Won't give out codes.
Randy Scott

Do you have a manual for the scanner? If not, find the brand name, go online and get there support number.

How does it run? Any issues?

Yes I have a manual for the scanner, car appears to run as good as ever. It is very well kept & an excellent car with very low mileage for its age. I am the second owner & have had it for the last 40,000 miles. Thank You ASEMaster6371.

Randy Scott
Your car, like my Dad's falls into the OBD void. When manufacturers transferred from OBD-1 to OBD-II, certain vehicles have the OBD plug under the dash, but no pin 5 and 6 to junction to flash the codes. Oh and screwing with a paper clip causes errors in the heating system, so don't do that.

You have to go to a dealership or someone who can do the CCC reader, it's rarer to find a local who can do that car. I run into the same problem each time on the 1994 Buick LeSabre I got here. It's $80-100 every time it throws me a code.

Bravestar1
You can fllash the codes for ford by buying an adapter that will flash out through led on the tool. Auto parts stores sell them. Once you get the code, you need a flow chart from a manual to track down the issue as code numbers never identify bad parts, just failed systems.

Thanks Roy. I will check Autozone later to see what they have.

Bravestar1
Let us know the code so we can further assist you

Actually Iv'e used this scanner on this car before and it never did this before, it always gave me the codes I needed to help solve the problem. The EEC connector is located on the passenger side inner fender well & it does have the 5th pin necessary for it to work. Now the manual does state the if it does not give codes there is a bigger issue & I should take it to a professional for further evaluation. I'd rather go to a dentist than do that, but I guess I just might have to. I'll first try to find somebody else with a Ford pre-1996 & try it on their vehicle to make sure that the scanner is still functioning properly seeing how I haven't used it in a couple of years. Thanks to all who commented & tried to help. Will let you know outcome when I know. Many Thanks again, Randy.

Randy Scott
We are not as bad a dentists. There are a lot of us who know what we are doing and care. It is a matter of finding an accomidating shop that will work with you.
I agree. It needs someone familiar with pre 96. It may be a communication issue with the computer but dont rush off and get a new one. Get it checked first

That's not what I was implying. Didn't mean it to sound that way, it"s just I've always been able to find & fix the problem myself, it's a matter of pride, not a matter of judging a dealerships integrity. I just figured that if I tried the scanner on a different vehicle & it worked whether to give out codes or to say that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle, that would at least tell me that the scanner was working properly and that I do indeed have a bigger problem & I'll have to take it to a dealer, and in fact I deal with a good dealership that I trust and hopefully it won't be to bad of a problem. Wasn't badmouthing you professionals by any means. No harm, no foul. Thanks again.

Randy Scott
Okay ASEMaster6371, I'm pretty sure my scanner is bad. I found my Haynes Techbook on computer codes & electronic engine management systems. I found out how to check it with an analog meter & it did give me 2 codes. #332, EGR valve opening not detected, & #565, canister purge circuit fault. Are they connected, & does the canister purge circuit fault mean that the circuit is bad coming from the PCM? Thank you.

Randy Scott