MAZDA PROTEGE ENGINE PROBLEM

1994 Mazda Protege • 113,000 miles

I recently had my transmission rebuilt (automatic) and since then the car had been driving basically fine. The shifting of gears seems to be timed very well, though they can be a bit hard when the car shifts up. Recently, my Check Engine light and Brake Light in the dash have been intermittently coming on and off. Yesterday, while parked at work, the RPMs went up and down a bit, and it felt like the car tried to shift gears and the Check Engine light would come on, then go off, then come back on each time it felt like it shifted gears. This is when I was in park mind you. I tried to use an OBD scan tool to get any codes but my Mazda doesn't have a place to hook it up to. Any ideas what I should check first? The oil, transmission, and coolant levels are all full.

For the Check Engine light, I have noticed that as I am coming to a stop, the RPMs jump about 100 right before I reach my Idling RPMs at about 1000. Also, I have started to lose power to the engine while driving a few times, I had to let off and repress the accelerator to keep from stalling out. Any help is very appreciated!
Rlbutta16

The code would help us with the diag.

It could be a vacuum leak causing this.

To be sure, take it back to the trans shop tell them your concerns and ask them to re check there work for left off hoses, connectors etc.

Start there

Thanks I'll call them today and see when I can get it brought in, and I'll check the hoses as best I can myself. Not knowing where to start can feel a bit overwhelming.

Rlbutta16
I agree. Let them re check there work before proceeding

Well its in the shop now, whenever I get a diagnosis I'll make sure to post in case it helps anyone else in a similar situation.

Rlbutta16
Good, let us know

So the distributor went bad causing the engine issues and somehow my left front brake caliper was leaking fluid, according to the shop I took it to. I hope this information helps. Cost me a mini fortune ( 700)

Rlbutta16