HI, I HAVE A LS400 AUTOMATIC. WHEN I PUT THE CAR TO DRIVE AND PRESS THE GAS PEDAL IT DOSENT MOVE. BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE IF ITS ACCELERATING BU

1994 Lexus LS 400

Hi, I have a 1994 lexus ls400 automatic. When I put the car to drive and press the gas pedal it dosent move. But it sounds like if its accelerating but its not. When I let go of the gas pedal it sometimes turns off. What can it be?
Agarcia209

Check the fluid level. If it is ok, then you have an internal failure which will require an overhaul.

Try manually shifting to each gear to see if it works.

It will sometimes move foward but it will go reverse all the time & if you let go of the gas it will turn of fast.

Agarcia209
The transmission is failing and you have a fault with the idle control system.

So I need to take it to a mechanic.

Agarcia209
Yes for the transmission because rebuilding is not something you can do at home.

There is one test to confirm if the problem is mechanical or otherwise. At transmission, disconnect the solenoid wire pack connector and g for a test drive. Start by manually shifting into each gear. The transmission is not going to shift automatically and if you have 1st, 2nd, 4th and reverse when each gear is shifted then problem is most likely to be the controls, meaning possible solenoid or valve body faults, a job that might not require a rebuild but repair to the valve body or electrical controls.

Check for trouble codes first.