WHY WILL CAR JUST STOP RUNNING FOR NO APPARENT REASON, WHILE RUNNING, AT IDLE, OR IN GEAR AT A STOP LIGHT ETC.

1994 Lexus GS 300 • 130,000 miles

Driving, car, been running great, sitting at stop light. Engine died, cranked many times. Started momentarily, died again, towed home started ran fine. 10 min later. Died again, tried to start but would not.
Changed fuel filter on chassy by lt rear wheel. Car started, ran for 10 to 15 min. Died. Listened to fuel pump sounded like not running all the time,
seemed to sound strange. Noticed car giving off strange odor each time it did run. Pulled fuel tank, installed new denso fuel pump kit.
put in fresh fuel. Disconnected battery. Let set 20 to 30 min. Reconnected. Car started ran great. Lit sit and idle. And in 13 min. Car died again. Car giving off strange ordor from exhaust. (Looking at changing fuel regulator next) checked 20A EFI fues, also switched out EFI relay to see if it was shutting off pump. Does not seem to be the issue.
Daddymack

Any codes present?

Merlin2021
No, jumped the te1 to the e1 with key on the injecters were clicking so much that the check engine light flickered so iratically that you could not tell what was a flash and what was not at flash. After about 4 or 5 min. All the clicking of the injectors stopped, then the check engine light shinned steady. No flasking nothing but steady. Disconnected the battery. Tried it all over. No irratic injecter issue, no flashing and pausing of the engine light. Car does not try and start at all now.
When it was tryin to start, I had fire and plenty of fuel. Still would not try to start. Having towed to a shop tomorrow.

Daddymack
Start at the catalytic converter, if it's c; ogged, the car will not breathe, and will not run, remove an O2 sensor b4 the cat and see if it will start. Or drop the exhaust and do same.

Merlin2021
Have the exact same problem on my 1994 lexus changed many parts like you. Starts fine when cold outside let it run for few mins and it dies. But it will start right back up then die repeatedly. Tried checking codes but im not having the problem u did there. I get codes 14 18 21 24 27 28

Ashnjr
Code 14 pertains to the ignition circuit. Code 18 isn't listed. Code 21 means a defective O2 sensor. Code 24 is an open or short in the air intake temperature sensor circuit. Code 27 is an open pr short in the sub-O2 sensor circuit. Code 28 also means defector O2 sensor circuit, open or short.

Rivermikerat