LEXUS ES 300 ENGINE PROBLEM

1994 Lexus ES 300 • 165,000 miles

When I go to start my car after it's been sitting for 3-5 hours or more, it just won't fire. After I crank it for anywhere from 20-45 minuets, it fires up, but I have to let it run idle for a bit before I press on the gas at all or it will stall. After that, it runs and drives fine, and as long as it's warm (not sitting for more than 3-5 hours), it'll start rite back up. I've had people tell me it was the fuel pump, and I replaced it. Had a tune up done 6 months ago. Battery and alternator are good, air filter good, and I run lucas fuel system/injector cleaner every 2 weeks when I fill up. I'm baffeled as to what it could be, or as to what I can do to get it started for now, untill I can get it fixed by a pro. Please HELP! Thank you for your time! I look forward to hear your diagnosis.

Has the check engine light ever come on? Have you checked to make sure you are getting spark and fuel to the engine when it won't start?

The check engine light has been on since I bought it 3 yrs ago. The cpu says its the egr valve. And idk how to check if its getting spark or fuel? Lol

Brianlidlow
I mean, it wants to start, I smell fuel, but idk why it just wont fire

Brianlidlow
Fuel filter?

Brianlidlow
Try this. Go to our homepage under the diy section. There are directions for checking for spark and fuel pressure. Check them when the car dies.

Ok thanks ill do that.

Brianlidlow
LEt me know what you find.