ISUZU TRUCK ENGINE PROBLEM

1994 Isuzu Truck • 500,000 miles

An isuzu truck{24v} had a heavily short circuited temperature guage. I replaced it with a universal guage. I also replaced the temperature sender unit which is new as well. The problem now is the guage readings are far too higher than the actual engine temperature. What could be the cause and how can I solve it. Help please

How did you determine the temp gauge was a short?

Use a ray gun to verify the temp against your readings.

@ Roy. The original temp guage together with fuel guage were visibly burnt and shrunken. So there was no way I could repair such a dashboard. Thats why I had to make do with a universal one. I dont have the tool u mentioned above. Some are saying the guage and sender needs calibration. So I need extensive help from everybody here at 2carspro. Urgent please!

Auto lovemore
Is the gauge with readings or only H and C?
Unless the gauge is showing in temperature in degrees, it is not going to show the exact reading as the original as they could vary in resistance. You would have to live with it, install an additional resistor or replace the gauge with one that is not so sensitive.

@Khlow. Yeah the guage is calibrated from 40-250digrees celcius

Auto lovemore
So what is it reading when you mentioned it is high?

@ KH. It goes beyond tha 250 mark even with the engine not that hot

Auto lovemore
You need to verify if the gauge is compatible with the sending unit.
Which engine do you have?
You mentioned the truck runs on 24v, is the gauge for 24v?
Do you have the operating resistance range for the gauge?
At 60 degrees C, the resistance of the sending unit should be 160 ohms, check if it is correct.

@ KHLow. Yeah the guage is 24v. I think the resistance issue could be correct. I wl check when vehicle is back from delivery. Thanx once again. I wl gv u the feedback

Auto lovemore