STEERING RACK REMOVAL

1994 Infiniti Q45 • V8 2WD Automatic • 208,000 miles

I have a 1994 Q45, I have removed all attachments and of the rack and pinion and I cannot get the rack to slide out between the engine and the frame. Is there a trick? The rack is loose
Reethofa

Loosen the front bolts for the cross member a little, then remove the rear bolts to lower the cross member down in back. Your jack stands will have to be under the frame of the car of course, not under the cross member.

How many bolts on each side. It appears to have 3? Any pictures?

Thanks in advance

Reethofa
Sorry I don't have any pictures. What might help is to look at it as how it went together on the assembly line. I know that doesn't help a lot but it is going to be designed to go together as quickly as possible. Look for bolts with large heads in a location where there is body sheet metal directly above the cross member.

Instead of removing bolts completely, when I'm confronted with a new car I haven't see before, I just loosen each bolt about three turns, then I pry the cross member down. If any loosened bolt moves with the cross member, it can be retightened. It's the bolts that don't move that are the ones that go into the frame. That can help identify which ones need to be removed.