CAN A BAD CATALYTIC CONVERTER CAUSE MY CAR TO OVERHEAT?

1994 Infiniti Q45 • 130,000 miles

My Q45 is overheating after driving about twenty minutes at high speed. On hot days over 95 degrees. In phoenix, that is every day. I cleaned and flushed the cooling system, changed the thermostat, cleaned the MAF sensor, changed hoses, turned on the heater or AC, but nothing has made any difference. I also notice a loss of power when it is hot, and some engine farts too, so now I think my CAT my be the problem. How can I check the CAT on the vehicle?
Sandee won

To check the cat you would go to a exhaust shop and have a back pressure test done. Unless you wanted to buy a gauge to check it yourself but the gauges are about 50-60.

Also a plugged cat can cause the engine to overheat but so can a inop radiator fan etc.

Since the problem only occurs at high speed, that is an indication of inefficient cooling. Have the radiator checked, it most likely is partially clogged.