COIL OR SPARK PLUG WIRE(S)?

1994 Hyundai Scoupe • 4 cylinder Manual •

I have a 1994 Hyundai Scoupe, non-turbo 4-cyl. My car started stalling one day while waiting for road construction workers let us go through. After on the way back from work to home, it seemed to do a little better, until the car got warm. Tonight, my dad and I looked under the hood in the dark, and I was looking at the coil and thought I seen a little bit of a blinking "light" and my dad seen it too and I looked at it again, then he noticed the spark plug wire(s) sparking blue, though I don't know if it is just one or all 4 wires. What do I need to check or fix?
Ndowens

The coil and leads are leaking voltage, replace them all.

Mhpautos
I know most of the sparks were going through the spark plug wire(s) to the spark plug, looked like a consistant flow of blue sparks as well if this helps anymore.

Ndowens
Any external shorting is not acceptable, replace the coil and leads.

Mhpautos
Thanks for your replies. Sorry I am not a car kind of person. I am more of a technology person. So by leads you mean the spark plug wires?

Ndowens
Yes, leads refer to High tension leads or spark plug wires, High tension leads is the correct term.

Mhpautos
Thank you : )

Ndowens
Hmm also to note, it idles rough when cold, and today and last night while it was still cold it stalled. Tonight I didn't see blue sparks, I just seen tiny orange/red sparks going from one plug to the other. Most of the time I seen it around the 3rd cyl, sometimes at the 2nd, and 4th. All were the tiny sparks, though I could see the sparks sometimes in the middle of the wire.

Ndowens
Same problem, change the leads, this will fix it.

Mhpautos
I replaced the plug wires and coil wire with Napa's Beldon Max Wires and it still stalls. Though I havent got the chance to look to see if there is a voltage leak or not, havent had time to day. What else should I look at if I can't see any voltage leaks?

Ndowens
Clean the throttle body and the IAC check that the base idle is ok and that there are no vacuum leaks.

Mhpautos