1994 Hyundai Elantra • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 130,000 miles

1994 Hyundai Elantra 5 speed 1.6L I4 mileage: 130,000. Hi guys, my question is, about a year ago, I had my timing belt replaced; it was a preventative maintenance repair, not because it broke. Then after about 3 months, my car lost power on the highway one day, I took it to a repair shop, and it was determined that the timing belt was not installed properly (it was off by a couple of teeth). Ever since then, the car has had a rough idle. Now because of the rough idle, it causes the muffler to shake, and make a weird noise. I'm trying to sell the car now, but I would like to fix the rough idle first, if it isn't to expensive. Is raising the idle speed a little a good thing to do, or is this an even bigger problem?

You can try raising the idle speed but we do not think it will smooth out the idle. You may have a bigger problem. Have a compression check done on the engine; it may check low. When the timing belt was off "by a couple of teeth, " that changed the timing between the valves and the pistons. That change may have resulted in a valve hitting a piston bending a valve or two.