ENGINE WONT START BUT CRANKS..

1994 Honda Prelude • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 150,000 miles

I have a HONDA PRELUDE 1994 ITS DONE 150 000 KMS ROUGHLY. IT CRANKS BUT WONT START AND AT SOME STAGES IT SOUNDS LIKE IT DOES WANT TO FIRE UP AND run, BUT LOOSES THAT IGNITE to start. I HAD A MECHANIC LOOK AT IT AND he said THE PULLEY FOR THE TIMING BELT SEEMS like it is cycling in a bent motion! THE MECHANIC RECKONS THAT pulley IS THE ISSUE TO WHY ITS NOT FIRING UP TO TURN ON. IS HE RIGHT because he is charging me $700 for the repair and I dont want to pay it if his wrong : ( : (?
Alexsayed

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain.