HONDA PASSPORT THERMOSTAT PROBLEM

1994 Honda Passport • 160,000 miles

I am try to change the thermostat housing that runs down to the block. Do I need to take off the intake manifold or the timing belt cover. Need step by step. Thanks

Zipper1081

An engine size would help.

Wrenchtech
I am sorry 1994 3.2 4x4 auto.

Zipper1081
Doesn't look like either have to be removed.
The flat rate timed is only half an hour.

On models equipped with airbag system, refer to Technician Safety Information for system disarming and arming procedures.
Disconnect battery ground cable.
Drain coolant from radiator.
Disconnect thermoswitch electrical connector, then the upper radiator hose from thermostat housing.
Remove thermostat housing and thermostat from engine assembly. Note installation position of jiggle valve before removing thermostat.
Reverse procedure to install, noting the following: Ensure thermostat housing sealing surfaces are free of old gasket material.
Install thermostat with jiggle valve positioned at 12 o'clock.
Tighten thermostat housing retaining bolts to specification.

Wrenchtech
Ok thanks. But one of them has to come off. The tube that runs down to the engine block has 3 bolts in it and there are no way to get to them with out removing something. I can email you pics if you want. I tried to add a pic.

Zipper1081
I was referring to the outer housing to access the T-stat. I see you are changing the whole housing. Why, is there a problem with the inner part?

Wrenchtech
It busted changing the thermostat.

Zipper1081
I don't have any info in that particular model but if I remember it right, the intake has to come off. You pretty much have to just look at it and see.

Wrenchtech
Ok thanks. We're couldi find an exploded view on this engine? Thanks

Zipper1081
There isn't much available that is any help or i would have already given it to you. Judging by the part you showed, the bolt point down so the intake is what is in the way.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/Wrenchtech/89256765.gif

Wrenchtech
Wrenchtech thank you very much. I have one more question. How had is it to take off the intake on that motor? You probably already know this but it a isuzu motor.

Zipper1081
Page 1 of 2