STARTING THE CAR

1994 Geo Prizm • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 151,000 miles

Sometimes my car does not start after the first try. One time it took me 5 minutes to start the car.I hea clicks but no start. But other times the car starts at first try with no problem. What could the problem be? Hopefully not the starter.
BLUMONSTER

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem.

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing.