BLOWN MOTOR OR HEAD GASKET?

1994 Geo Prizm • 130,000 miles

I have a 1994 geo prizm automatic. It blows out white smoke from the tail pipe, has overheated about three times (only drove it about twelve times since I got it) it has shut off twice from being hot, has 130,000 miles on it & blows through cooliant. Also has a loud tick. My brother says its a blown motor but my boyfriend says its a blown head gasket. What do you think? Please help me know what to do.
thank you angie
Angieeexhiiix3

So you know for sure its coolant coming out of the tail pipe?

No im not sure. It only happens if im going fast, like from slow to fast. Suh as going onto the highway but when im on the highway it stops.

Angieeexhiiix3
You can rent a chemical block tester from auto zone to see if there are exhaust gases in the coolant.

I dont know if this helps but my brothers said its not a tock its a knock & I do have a small exaust leak.

Angieeexhiiix3
So is it using coolant or leaking coolant?Also is the knocking coming from the top end or bottom end?

It is using cooliant, ive put almost two full bottles of cooliant so far. & My brother said bottom of the engine but he is also 100% sure its my engine is junk, so it may not be acurate. It is very loud though.

Angieeexhiiix3
If its burning coolant that is washing your rings and cylinder walls out. Also means you have a blown head gasket crqcked head etc. If the knock is in the lower end then thats a connecting rod and could damage the crank. So sounds like your brother right.

Thank you for clearing that up!

Angieeexhiiix3
Your welcome anytime.