WHY DOES MY CAR SPUTTER WHEN COMING TO A STOP SOMETIMES?

1994 Geo Metro • 47,000 miles

Hello, So, I have a 1994 Geo metro XFI with 47,000 original miles. It's beautiful. It is a 1.0L 3 cylinder engine.

It does have a bit of a rough idle when coming to a stop. It has a manual transmission. Say I'm coming up to a red light and have to stop a little faster than usual (or sometimes stopping normally) I downshift 4 to 3 to 2 and then into neutral. When I get to second gear and put it into neutral, the car sputters a bit like it wants to stall, but it doesn't. It recovers.

New on the car: new spark plugs, distributor cap, wires, air filter, oil change and filter, and hoses. There doesn't appear to be a vacuum leak anywhere. I'm really at a loss here! Many thanks!
Jeremiahedward

What happens if you dont downshift but just go neutral or push in clutch and use brakes to slow down?

Fixitmr

Shifting directly into neutral doesn't seem to have an effect. It still sputters. Also, I noticed that when I turn on the vents (i don't have ac) it happens. Sort of sputters and bogs down a bit.

Jeremiahedward
Sounds like possible vacuum leak. Air vents being vac powered. Check the fuel pressure, EGR and PCV valves and the idle air control valve and throttle position sensor-

Fixitmr