STARTER

1994 Ford Ranger • 6 cylinder 2WD Manual •

I tried hooking up a new battery in a 1994 Ford Ranger. When I did, the starter relay sparked and smoked. Though the vehicle will not turn over and the interior dome lights don't work. I'm not sure if I fried the starter or not. The headlights still work and the battery seems to be fine. I did not cross battery cables and have no idea what happened. Any suggestions
Pedro78

Throwing a possibility at you. Are the battery posts in the same positions on the New Battery as the old.I do not mean does it look the same, I MEAN, IS POSITIVE POST AND NEGATIVE POST THE SAME (SWAPPED), NOT REVERSED (as for another vehicles needs)!----You can have your starter tested for FREE at Autozone, Advance Auto, and other Parts stores. If you suspect you fried the Solenoid. Replace it, make sure all connections are tight and on the correct lugs. If the Battery was installed with the Poles Reversed, you may have fried some other stuff too (lets hope not). If you find your Starter is good, and Solenoid is new, and it still will not Turn Over, or will Turn over and not Start. Check fuses, and Fusible Links. Check the wiring around the Solenoid (Starter Relay) for burns/ breaks. Come back here and we will figure something out. Mega Detailed Explanations really help us. The Medic