DO I HAVE A FUEL PROBLEM OR ELECTRICAL PROBLEM?

1994 Ford Ranger • 469,000 miles

I have a 1994 Ranger 3.0L 6cyl. That cuts out severely at an idle or when you give it gas at 70-75mph. I've changed the fuel pump. No change. The filter is still fairly clean and free-flowing. Any suggestions where to look? Can the fuel pump relay wear out gradually or does it just quit altogether?
Udog

Are you able to restart easily when it cuts off?

Relays don't fail gradually. It can be intermittent.

Thank you for your rapid response! I greatly appreciate it!

It never dies altogether. It just acts like it's going to die but quickly catches and resumes. It does this repeatedly.

Also, it seems to start the symptoms as the truck gets warmer. It's fine when running a little cold.

It is never difficult to start, so far.

Udog
That should not be a major problem. Seems the idling speed is too low and cleaning the throttle body and IAC should solve the problem.

Thank you, KH! I'm trying to deal with this while working so it may be tomorrow before I can let you know how it came out. I was thinking, though, how long it's been since that throttle body was cleaned and I'm sure you're right.

Thanks again and I'll let you know.

Udog
You're welcome.

Keep us posted.

That did it, KH!

Cleaning the throttle body and IAC made such a positive difference that I decided to clean the MAF sensor, as well, and give it cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Problem solved. I had almost forgotten how well this truck can run.

Thanks again, KH! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help!

Udog
Glad to know you have the problem fixed.

Have a great weekend.