IGNITION LOCK CYLINOID

1994 Dodge Ram • 181,000 miles

How to take out old ignition lock cylinoid and install the new one. The one in there now I have to pull the key almost all the way out of the ignition after turning it once just to be able to start it. An it's getting worse. I have the part already now just need to know how to install step by step.
Cujo74

The best is to get a copy of the manufacturer's service manual. It will have drawings that show what is difficult to describe.

There are screws to remove from the bottom of the trim covers on the steering column, then the upper and lower halves unsnap and can be removed. Look straight down from the normal driving position toward the cylinder and you'll see a small silver roll pin about 3/16" in diameter. Use a punch or small screwdriver to push that roll pin in. It will go in about 1/8" to 1/4". That will let the cylinder pop out. I can't remember for sure but I think you need to have the key inserted.

Once the cylinder is out, look at the cam on the end of it. Sometimes those crack. The symptom is everything works except it will not turn the ignition switch quite far enough to crank the engine. The dealer has a repair kit for that but you don't have to worry about that if you're installing a new cylinder.

Slide the new cylinder in, insert the key, then turn it to crank the engine. Turning it all the way will push the roll pin out to lock it in place.