HI, I HAVE A 94 1500 2WD 5.9L TRUCK WITH 189K MILES. I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE OIL SYSTEM OVER THE LAST 7K MILES. PRESSURE DROPS, ENGINE TINGING SOUND BUT THE OIL CLEANERS HAVE WORKED. TODAY, WHEN ACCELERATING FROM A STOP THE TRUCK SHOOK V

1994 Dodge Ram • 189,000 miles

Hi, I have a 94 Dodge RAM 1500 2WD 5.9L Truck with 189k miles. I have had problems with the oil system over the last 7k miles. Pressure drops, engine tinging sound BUT the oil cleaners have worked. Today, when accelerating from a stop the truck shook violently and there was a loud metal/metal sound. I noticed that if I accelerate very, very, very, very slowly (which tends to piss the drivers behind me off) that once I reach 10mph, I can accelerate all I want without the shaking/clanging. Does it sound like the oil pump is on its last thread or is it something else? Thanks! Chris
Civilsax@sbcglobal.net

What "oil cleaners" are you referring to? The first thought was for a spun connecting rod bearing due to low oil pressure, but if the noise goes away at times, you might look at the vibration damper on the front of the engine. It's what the main pulley is bolted to. It consists of a cast iron outer ring glued to the hub. A lot of manufacturers are having problems with them coming apart. Auto parts stores have whole catalogs full of replacements.