NO POWER TO DASH, NO GAUGES WHEN PUT KEY IN AND TURN TO ON POSITION

1994 Chevrolet Cavalier • 10,900 miles

Dome light, Glove Box light and cigarette lighter come on what is wrong/. I left my house the car was running like normal. I got on to nearby freeway, check gauges for low fuel, abs, brake light started flashing. I had 3/4 tank of gas and brakes were fine before. I got off freeway immediately, and stopped. As I was waiting for light to change as (no turn on red sign there) Brake pedal went to floor and I was pushing extremely hard to get car to stay stopped, now (in drive) transmission starts racing. I turn right on to next street, car died. I tried to start it again, battery was dead (clicking sound).

Examined everything carefully including fluids did not see anything under dash, hood or ground. It looked normal. A mechanic happened by and did not see any problem, suggested he jump me and I get car home. He jumped my car, it started right up, drove for 5 more minutes and died. My husband changed alternator, starter and battery as a precaution. Car drove home fine. When we got home we noticed the alternator was not charging.

Changed to another alternator and when that did not work, he changed the computer.
Now we are getting power to non-essentials like glove box, cigarette lighter but not to dash and with the key turned on there is no gauges on but seat belt bell works. It will not start.
Virginia22

U have to get the charging sys. Rechecked and they need to check for a draw on the battery. Killing the battery. Charge the battery and disconnect the battery when your not using the car. Until u get it checked out. Ty for using 2carpros pl try and donate god bless

Cadieman