CHANGING TIMING CHAIN ON

1994 Cadillac Fleetwood • V8 2WD Automatic • 185,000 miles

When should timing chain be changed on a 1994 cadillac fleetwood. I have 185,000 miles on this car, and timing chain has never been changed. It has hesitation, and has shut down completely. So I would change the distributor, Optispark, on it, and it runs for a while, then I have to replace the optispark again. Could my problem be the timing chain? Does not show trouble lights.
Gerraf

It would be wise to change it now before it jumps time and does more damage to the engine. If it has not been running right this could fix it.

Ausername123456
There is no interval for timing chain replacement, and I am not sure if that is a nylon coated cam gear, that would make it more appealing to change. As far as the frequent optispark failures, is there coolant leaking on it from the water pump, or do you frequently spray water(clean) the engine compartment? The hesitation itself, often caused by premature EGR opening, try plugging the EGR vacuum source line and see what happens.

Factoryjack