AIR CONDITIONER HIGH PITCHED SQUEAL

1993 Toyota Tarago • 360,000 miles

Hi, I have a 1993 Toyota tarago with 360,000km on clock but new motor at 300,000km. It has developed a high pitched squeal when the air con is turned on. To be exact, the fans can be turned on without the air con and there's no squeal, once the ac button is pressed the squeal begins (though not if the fan is off) it continues for 5-15minutes then disappears, but stop the car and re-start and you have another 5-15minutes of squealing to suffer through. It is blowing cold air so don't think it needs re-gassing but the squeal is ear-piercing and embarrassing ! PLEASE HELP ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY
Leila84

Check the A/C compressor belt condition and tension. If the belt condition is good an adjustment should solve the problem.

Thanks so much, I'll give it a go, also I have a grinding noise from the back when I go around corners, any ideas?

Leila84
Check for excessive free play of the rear wheel bearings if it is wheel related. Other than that you would need someone to test drive and locate the source of the noise.