TOYOTA CAMRY TRUNK PROBLEM

1993 Toyota Camry • 97,000 miles

I HAVE A 1993 TOYOTA CAMRY AND I HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM WITH THE REVERSE LIGHTS. HERE ARE THE SYMPTOMS: LAMP AMBER WARNING LIGHT CONSTANTLY ILLUMINATED ON LOWER LEFT ON THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, REVERSE LIGHTS INOPERATIVE, BEHIND THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER THERE IS A CLICKING NOISE SOUNDS LIKE A RELAY THAT IS CLICKING. HERE IS THE FUNNY PROBLEM: WHEN I PRESS ON THE BRAKE PEDAL, THE "R" SYMBOL ON THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER PRNDL AREA LIGHTS UP AND GOES OUT WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS RELEASED

First, check the rear brake light bulbs and reverse light bulbs. There may be a feedback from these ubits to the dash lights.

There is a light module that is a common failure on the old toyotas as well.

Check for power to the reverse light sockets with key on, in reverse. If not, check the fuse and power to the switch

Check for a bad ground connection at center of back panel as well.

Ok I understand to check for power going to the bulbs and also the bulbs them selves. The center back panel, are you talking about in the trunk actually on the trunk itself?

Szalkuskt
Yes, the ground circuits for the tail, brake and reverse lights.

Look around where the tail lights are mounted for the ground wires bolted to the body

Ok thank u, thats what I will do. Any schematics or diagrams of the location of the lights module? I always wanted a schematic on how the "lights inop" icon on the dashboard works to warn the driver of a light bulb failure If there is something you have that I can educate myself about that that would be nice too

Szalkuskt
Still working on the diagram

The clicking sound, actually I can feel it on the steering column cover, so that might help in troubleshooting. Process Is that light failure sensor in the trunk?

Szalkuskt
I FOUND A BROKEN WIRE YESTERDAY NEAR THE HINGE ON THE LEFT SIDE WHERE THE TRUNK IS MOUNTED TO THE HINGE. ITS THE WIRE LOOM THERE FOR THE ELECTRICAL ON THE TRUNK LID. IT IS A WHITE WIRE WITH A BLACK TRACER. SOMEONE HAD PUT A SOLDERLESS CONNECTOR ON THAT WIRE BEFORE AND IT WAS NOT CONNECTED. THE CONNECTOR CAME LOOSE. I STILL HAVE TO BUY MATERIALS TO CONNECT THE WIRE. I DID PUT THE CAR IN REVERSE WITH KEY ON AND TRIED TO CONNECT THE WIRE AND LOOK @ THE REVERSE LIGHTS AND I DID NOT SEE THEM COME ON. SO, I AM WONDERING WHAT THE WHITE WITH BLACK TRACER WIRE IS INSIDE THE TRUNK HINGE LOOM ON THE LEFT SIDE. IT IS THERE FOR A REASON.

Szalkuskt
Iattatched the the broken wire and the problem I think went away, but my question now is how do you adjust the automatic shifter because the reverse lights wont come on until I move the shifter slightly out of reverse towards park and make an electrical connection via the shifter linkage, so how do you adjust that? I mean the shifter and how it makes the PRNDL switch operate? At the trans or under the console?

Szalkuskt
Page 1 of 2