WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT

1993 Pontiac Sunbird • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 130,000 miles

I have a 1993 Pontiac Sunbird with a failing water pump, I have some friends that seem to believe that I will need to take the timing belt off the car to replace the water pump. Do I need to take of the timing belt to replace the water pump?
Also, is there anything like engine mounts or any other major task that has to be done before removing the water pump?
I have never done a water pump on a Sunbird but I did a few on Neon's and Intrepids are they similar to replace as a Sunbird?
StevenWarren83

I found out that the car is a 2.0L

StevenWarren83
Water pump

REMOVAL

Disconnect battery ground cable, then drain and recover cooling system. For additional procedures refer to Cooling System / Service and Repair / Draining and Refilling. See: Service and Repair
Remove serpentine belt.
Remove coolant pump pulley bolts.
Remove coolant pump pulley and coolant pump then clean coolant pump mating surfaces.

Thank you very much for the reply !

StevenWarren83
You're welcomed

Isn't that a 3.1 in the picture Ras? He has a 2.0 belt driven pump. There are 3 duplicates of this question.

Wrenchtech
Alldata! Ok here's the 2.0L engine

Disconnect battery ground cable.
Drain cooling system, then remove timing belt. Refer to TIMING BELT for procedure.
Remove timing belt rear protective covers, as required.
Remove lower radiator hose from water pump.
Remove water pump attaching bolts then the water pump and sealing ring, Fig 16.
Clean engine block and water pump sealing surfaces, then apply a 3/32 inch of RTV sealant to sealing surfaces. While RTV sealant is still wet, install water pump. Tighten attaching bolts finger tight.
Install lower radiator hose on water pump, then timing belt rear protective covers.
Install timing belt. Refer to TIMING BELT for procedure.

Yes it is a 3.1 can someone give me some instruction on the timing belt, how to put it back into alignment, with the same belt, not a replacement, only the pump will be replaced, I need a diagram for the TDC please, can some one help?

StevenWarren83