PLYMOUTH SUNDANCE GAS PROBLEM

1993 Plymouth Sundance • 60,000 miles

Sundance wont start. I put gas in the throttle body starts then dies.

Ok checked code. Nothing.
i can hear the pump whirring and splashing in the tank. I am told there is at least 2 gallons in the tank. I changed the filter. Nothing still.
checked the fuel relay. Nothing
checked the timing belt/ distributor. Still intact. Wouldn't run for those few seconds with gas in the throttle body if it the belt distributor weren't fine. Same logic with the coil.

Pulled the fuel line.
turn on key - no gas from the line,
cranked the engine - little gas from the line
gas in the TB and cranked - started for a second then dies fuel out of the line like crazy.
fuel line on, gas in the TB - started for a second then dies.
checked grounds, wires, connectors,

something somewhere is telling my car not to run.
Troyradioboy

Most likely the fuel pump has failed. Replace it.

If the pump was bad why would it pump when the motor was turning.

Troyradioboy
The motor may sound like it is working but it is not pumping any fuel.

Also I can hear the pump working when the key is turned on, but there is no fuel coming from the line at the throttle body. Pump replacement on this car is dropping the tank and the part is over $100. So id like to be sure.

Troyradioboy
Use a pressure tester to be sure. I am positive of it myself from replacing many, many of them

the tank does not have to come down. If you loosen it and drop the rear a little, you can get it out and around the radius arm of the rear.

One last question. When I put gas in the TB and start it and the engine begins to spin, fuel begins to pump very well. Still possible for a bad fuel pump?

Troyradioboy
Thats why I suggested a pressure test. Once it starts it does not require much pressure to keep it going but it will barely run

Not the fuel pump. Thanks anyway.

Troyradioboy