MY TIMINGBELT BROKE WHILE DRIVING REPLACED IT ,SET ALL TIMING MARKS/TDC.STILL WONT TURNOVER.

1993 Nissan Pathfinder • 35,000 miles

I was driving to work and my engine just died out.I thought I ran out of gas, I fueled up - turned on the key and noticed it was a timing belt problem just by hearing how it crank.I opened the front cam cover, the belt was striped up.I tried putting a new timing belt aligned both cam timing marks/crank pulley time mark I also set no.1 piston to TDC but it still wont turnover.I followed my chilton repair book step by step and still cant start. Could it be a bent valve e.T.C?Ive done timing belt issues before but a nissan pathfinder 93 VG30 seems difficult. Any good advice?
Ron1374

Do a compression test on the engine that will tell you how the valves are bent or not. Let me kwow what you find.

You sure its on the compression stroke/TDC instead of exhaust stroke 180 out-double check

How to tell the if the #1 piston TDC is on compression or exhaust stroke?

Ron1374
If your cam and crank timing marks are dead on then you know your timed correctly. If they are do a compression test and post the results.

Because that engine can bend valves.

Timing marks matched up. It turned over but keeps dieing out.I think the distributor is off its mark, I cant seem to figure out the 15 degree mark or where to set the rotor.I removed the distributor a few times, advanced, & retard it. All it does is backfires- sometimes it stays running only when I gas it, but wont idle. What should I do?

Ron1374
Remove the distributor set the timing to 0/TDC at crank pulley and then reinstall the distributor making sure the rotor is pointing to the no.1 cap tower and then retime the ignition

Also make sure the the cams are lined up so you know the valves are closed when it reads number one top dead center.

Im with rasmatas on this one my thoughts exactly.

Cadieman