I HAVE A VAN AND IT MAKES A LOUD WHINING NOISE WHEN BEING DRIVEN DOWN THE ROAD.

1993 GMC Safari

THE THINGS I HAVE CHANGED ON THE VAN ARE THE SERPENTINE BELT, THE FAN, THE ALTERNATOR, AND THE BATTERY.
Grandma1

If its in park and your reving the engine up without moving can you hear this noise?

NO. I STARTED IT AND REVED THE MOTOR AND IT DID NOT MAKE THE NOISE. BUT, I HEARD THE WHINING NOISE VERY SOFTLY WHEN THE MOTOR FIRST TURNED ON BEFORE I REVED IT. I CAN HEAR A WHINING NOISE SOMETIMES LOW AND SOMETIMES LOUD AFTER ABOUT 5 MINUTES OF DRIVING THE VAN DOWN THE ROAD.

Grandma1
If you put the transmission in neutral while moving and hearing the noise does the noise go away?

I WILL DO THAT TOMARROW AND GET RIGHT BACK TO YOU. THANK YOU.

Grandma1
Your welcome keep me posted.

HELLO. I TOOK THE VAN OUT TODAY AND AFTER DRIVING THE VEHICLE A FEW MINUTES WHILE HEARING THE NOISE I PUT THE VAN IN NEUTRAL BUT THERE WAS NO CHANGE AT ALL. I STILL HEARD THE NOISE.

Grandma1
So you really only hear the noise while moving?If so does the noise change while changing lanes left or right?

SOMETIMES WHEN I START THE VAN WITHOUT MOVING I HEAR A LOW WHINING NOISE. OTHER TIMES WHEN I START THE VAN IT WILL RUN QUIETLY WITH NO NOISE HEARD. WHEN I HEAR A LOW WHINING NOISE I WILL CONTINUE TO DRIVE THE VAN FOR A FEW MINUTES AND THE NOISE WILL GET LOUDER AND THEN STOP. WHILE DRIVING WHEN IT WHINED I TURNED THE WHEEL TO THE LEFT AND THE NOISE STOPPED. I TURNED THE WHEEL TO THE RIGHT AND THE NOISE STOPPED. BUT, OTHER TIMES WHEN I TURN THE WHEEL TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT THE WHINING WILL CONTINUE. SOMETIMES WHEN I DRIVE THE VAN THE VEHICLE WILL NOT WHINE AT ALL FOR SHORT PERIODS OF TIME. IS IT OK TO DRIVE THE VAN?. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING MY EMAILS AND FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Grandma1
HELLO. DID YOU RECIEVE MY REPLY TO YOUR MOST RECENT QUESTION? I CANNOT TELL IF MY REPLY MADE IT TO YOU. THANKS AGAIN.

Grandma1
I cant tell you if its safe to drive not know whats making the noise. Your going to have to track the noise down sounds like something on the engine is making noise. You can use a long screwdriver held up to your ear touching different parts of the engine to track the noise down.