COULD I HAVE A BAD THROTTLE POSITONING SENSOR OR WHAT

1993 Ford F-150 • 156,000 miles

I have a 1993 f150 4.9 straight 6 it starts and runs good but after u go a mile or 2 down the road sometimes longer the check engine light comes on and the truck falls on its face like it aint got any power but if u turn yhe key off and right back on it runs fine for a bit is ita bad throttle positoning sensor or what could it be
Don e

It could be however if you have a digital multi meter then I can walk you through some testing to verify that.

Racefan966
Might want to check that your timing is correct. You may need a new distributer assembly or just a turn on it. Loosen the bolt that holds it down, you dont have to take it off all the way to turn it, then with your engine running slowly rotate the whole unit until you hear the engine sound its best. Dont forget to retighten the bolt when your done. Or it could just be loose and rotating on its own too. I have some links to videos showing how to put in a new one and its not hard at all. Hope this helps somewhat

Tashaanderson
Do not just turn the distributor to the best sound it may end up overtimed and ping then the knock sensor will compensate and it will not run correctly, if you want to check the timing use a timing light and set it to the spec that is on the sticker under the hood. Still as I said if you have a digital ohm meter I will walk you through checking the TPS.

Racefan966
My answer is for someone who doesnt have the tools they need and unable to go to a shop for what ever reason. Timing isnt too hard to set manually it just has to be exact. But if you have the tools to do it, by all means a person should use them. SO I dont disagree with using the tools or meters I think they should.

Tashaanderson

Racefan966