COLUMN IGNITION SWITCH REPLACE

1993 Ford Explorer • 4.0L V6 4WD Manual •

Hi. The ignition switch is sticking at times, this Mod has the little release button on top of the top shroud. What are the chances it is the switch or the little button mech that is causing it to stick.? I keep turning the switch of and on several times and it finally turns freely and starts the car. I am thinking it will stick one time and I will be stuck. I am asking because I want to replace all the parts that could cause this but not buy unnec parts.

Thanx. Gunny
Gunny3053

Have you tried lubricating the tumbler? Have you tried a different key? I have seen them wear out.

HI Thanx for the quick response. Yes I have tried another key and I did lubricate it, that was my very first thought that it needed some lubricant. That did not seem to help. It is a 1993 with 91,000 actual miles on it and I am think it just is worn out that is just the feeling I am getting with it. It has been noticeably getting a little harder to turn for some time like old age sneaking in there. And jerking the steering wheel back and forth does not seem to help and the wheels are not cocked. It just seems like if it turn the key back and forth a great number of times it finally turns freely to start. I have looked at several you tube videos and cannot find one the shows that release button in any of them, I have worked on cars all my life and I am not put off by having to replace the switch or that release button mech. Or both.

Thanx. Gunny

Gunny3053
My concern is what is causing the problem, the tumbler, the switch itself, or the linkage. I hate to say it, but I feel you need to take it apart to check each item.

HI Don't hate to say that, that is what I was going to do anyway. I am not a parts changer just for the heck of it, I like to see what makes them tick too. So taking it apart no big deal. I mainly wanted to get another persons opinion on and maybe pinpoint what part I needed to replace. I have looked at Rock Auto for parts and they have the Ignition switch of but nothing on the little release button. I am think this might be a dealer or junkyard item.

Any recommendations as a good parts place?

Thanx. Gunny

Gunny3053
I would think any of the nationally recognized parts stores should be able to help. As far as the issue, if you have an air bag, make sure to disconnect the battery about 20 minutes before you start working. If there is power to it, it can deploy.

Hi. I will be sure to do that I don't want that thing going off while working on it. And the extra expense to replace it.

By the way I used WD40 on lubricating it. Do you have any other recommendations.?

Thanx. Gunny

Gunny3053
There is a graphite based lubricant that is used for tumblers. Most parts stores should have it, but if WD40 didn't work, chances are it wont either.

Hi All

Well I found out the problem. When I tried my wife's key it did work a little smoother, so I thought what If I get a new key made, so that is what I did and it works like new now smooth as silk.

Just thought I would pass this on. Might save some one from buying unneeded parts and spending time when not nec. I looked at her key compared to the one I usually use and you could see where some of the ups and downs where worn smooth almost, very little indentations at most spots.

Thanx. Gunny

Gunny3053
You know, that's why I asked if you tried a different key. About a month ago, I worked on a man's chevy truck. Everything was done and I pulled it out of my shop. About an hour later, he came to pick it up and the key wouldn't turn. It was literally worn out. We tried his spare key and it worked perfect.

Regardless, I'm glad it was an easy fix for you. Let us know if you have questions in the future.

HI Joe

I did try her key but it really did not seem to be all the smooth when I tried it, that is what made me think it was not the key. But after looking at the keys closely what I seen gave me an idea about getting a brand new key, for a couple of bucks what was I going to lose.

I have done a lot of work on cars but not too much of the Ignition switches for some reason. So that is why I gave you a shot at it.

Thanx and I will buzz you if I came up with another problem I need help with, great service and I appreciate this. Keep up the good work.

Thanx. Gunny

Gunny3053