CRANKS BUT WONT RUN. 4CYL 1.9 2ND GEN.

1993 Ford Escort • 195,000 miles

Hey Guy's, hope you can help.
I recently replaced my valve cover gasket after leaking for sometime. My exhaust makes allot of noise in the manifold area, engine performance has been lacking. I left the lights on and the battery died. I used a sm. Portable charger set at 12 volt 6 amp. I had made both neg/pos. Connections directly to the terminals. I took it for a ride and it wanted to stall when I stopped ( replaced the intake gasket last year). Now the engine cranks (strong) but wont run. Tachometer moves when trying to start. Although the engine is cold the fan come on right away ( key in accy). Also I dropped a wrench down near the starter, I cant get to it, as my jack is inop. I have a mitsubishi stereo in my ford and I was trying to reset the code by disconnecting the battery first.
Cujohobo

Check for fuel pressure and spark.

Fixitmr
Ok. So I installed new plugs wires. Car still wouldn't run, so I sprayed starter fluid into the throttle body and it started right up. I let the engine run for 10 mlnutes, and restarted again no problem, so I guess I can rule out the pump, timing belt. But why do you think I needed to use the starter fluid? The #1 plug did have oil under the boot, and the gap was dirty and too small. Thank you so much for your help.

Cujohobo
Apparently the mixture is too lean to start? Or injectors are not working during cranking? You can use a noid light to check.

Fixitmr