UNEDER LIGHT TO MODERATE ACCELERATION, CAR RUNS FINE, UNDER MODERATE TO HEAVY ACCELERATION, ENGINE SPUTTERS, THEN IS VERY DIFFICULT TO RESTART.

1993 Chrysler Le Baron • 15,700 miles

The car was stolen from pep boys (was having transmission rebuilt) and was torn up pretty good. Now, it sputters and dies when I give it too much gas. Two shops later (and one was the dealership) I have no answers. The mechanic tells me that he can not get communication with the car's computer, tho it runs fine for hours at idle/light acceleration, no check engine light (yes, lite works). Replaced spark plug wires, air filter, fuel filter, pcv valve and full 3-part soltec cleaning. Scrubbed throttle intake, but still no difference. Research tells me that the computer is behind the passengers side kick panel, but mechanic was connecting behind the battery on the drivers side? Prior to the theft, the car ran so beautifully that I felt I could drive it for decades to come.

It is the mitsubishi 3.0 V6 and what I would like is a starting point.
ConvertibleGuy

Has fuel pressure been checked? Think pep boys owes you a replacement vehicle

Docfixit
The lawyer is making sure they pay for the damages, but I want the car running yesterday (if you know what I mean) but anyways, the mechanic checked the fuel by watching it come out of the hose while changing the fuel filter, but to my knowledge, never connected it to a meter. Also, tho the two shops I took it to tell me I am wrong, I would swear I smell unburnt fuel when it sputters and dies

ConvertibleGuy
Have fuel pressure tested with guage also have exhaust backpressure tested for possible damage to CAT resulting in blockage

Docfixit
Ok replaced the alternator bosch 90 amp and it ran fine at idle for a few minutes. Then it started backfiring out of exhaust again. The voltage under load was 13.64 and 13.71 when not under load. I put it in reverse and it starts backfiring really bad. I put it in drive and its not any better. Ideas?

Kpieper
Turns out that the issue was related to timing. After spending entirely too much money, I got down to the timing belt and water pump. The timing belt was stretched (as a function of the idiots overheating the engine) and there was so little tension that I was able to turn the water pump pulley by hand (while the timing belt was still in place)

ConvertibleGuy