1500 EXT CAB. DRIVING DOWN HIGHWAY AT 75 MPH WITH CRUZ CONTROL ON AND I GO TO GO UP A HILL AND OVER DRIVE TRYS TO KICK ON AND THERE IS LIKE A CLUNK NOISE AND LOSSES SPEED AND WHEN GAS PETAL IS HIT THERE IS A CLICKING NOISE. I STOP AND LOOK

1993 Chevrolet Silverado • 23,900 miles

1993 SILVERADO 1500 ext cab. Driving down highway at 75 mph with cruz control on and I go to go up a hill and over drive trys to kick on and there is like a clunk noise and losses speed and when gas petal is hit there is a clicking noise. I stop and look and dont see nothing and it drives fine. Start to go up next hill and it happens again. I has snowed for 3 days and wouldnt start due to cold and battery. I want to know why the overdirve is not workin in cruz control. I am thinking has something to do with the moisture and coldness. Thank you
Stutter13

Check the transmission fluid level and condition-start here

That truck has a 4L60 transmission with a lockup torque converter. It is a common problem that the lockup torque converter solenoid is nonfunctional you will need to take it to a transmission shop

Dr Loot
Thanks guys. Even though it seeems to kick in when I dont have the cruz on?

Stutter13
Just to add to this one when pulling a hill with the cruise control set at a certain speed it is possible that it just wont shift into overdrive because of the hill and the fact the cruise control is trying its hardest to hold that set speed. If it only happens with the cruise on and pulling a hill then thats probably why.

Either that or the engine is worn and incapable of holding the torque on the hill

Dr Loot