CHEVY , ACCELERATION PROBLEM AND GAS SMELL FROM UNDER THE HOOD

1993 Chevrolet Corsica • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 160,000 miles

Hello, I have a 1993 Chevrolet Corsica, 3.1L V-6 engine, 125c transmission, it's the LT version. My car has no umph at all getting going from a dead-stop or accelerating uphill and I can smell gas coming from under the hood the whole time it is running. Plus when I do get the car rolling and let off the throttle it will continue at the same speed and even start accelerating some. I have been told this problem could be the throttle position sensor. Could it be the TPS, or something else? I just bought this car not to long ago and my husband had to do alot of work to the front suspension already.
Mechanicmom

If you smell fuel, I would say no to the TPS. Check for fuel leaks at the fuel rail, where the injectors attach, and where they mount to the engine. The o-rings can leak on them causing a leak. Any fuel leak can be dangerous. Also, check fuel pump pressure to make sure the fuel pressure regulator is working properly.