HOW TO ADJUST THE STEERING GEAR ON A

1993 Cadillac Fleetwood • 83,000 miles

Hi. I have a 1993 Fleetwood that I purchased with 79,000 miles. When I first purchased it, the steering was real sloppy. I replaced the center link and the inner and outer tie rods as all were worn.

The steering tightened up a bit, but it is still sloppy and was narrowed down to the steering gear by a friend who is an ASE CMAT. Before replacing the steering gear, I would like to see if I can adjust it to see if I can improve it a bit.

I know it is possible, but I have no idea how to do it. Can you please advise on the adjustment procedure?

I would like to save the gear till at least next summer, when I plan on swapping it as well as the sway bars, etc out with Impala SS parts to improve handling.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Dwfan

If you want to adjust the steering box, there is an adjustment on top of the box. Loosen the nut and turn down the screw until the play is about 1/2 inch. Make sure it does not bind up over center or you have it too tight.