THE TIMING BELT WAS REPLACED, BUT THE CAR STILL WON'T START.

1992 Subaru Legacy • 199,828 miles

He replaced the timing idler gear (think that's what it was called) because it had seized up. He also replaced the timing belt. He set the timing, but the car won't start. He has checked the fuel. We have fuel. He has checked compression. We have that. He has checked to see if there is a spark. There is. What else could it possibly be? He swears he did the timing correctly, so he refuses to check it again. I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction so I can either tell him a new place to look, or tell him to look at the timing again. Thank you very much!
Nanci E.

Did you check compression on each cylinder? How many lbs of compression did each have? Why was the timing belt replaced? Did it blow the timing belt? If the timing belt was replaced after it failed rather than for preventative maintenance it could have bent some valves giving you low compression on one or more cylinders. Once you let me know about the compression on each cylinder, I will advise. Thanks!

ProAutoTech
Okay. The compression was 90-120 for all 4 cylinder. The timing belt was replaced because the idler gear seized up, resulting in catastrophic failure. It came apart and snapped the bolt off. There was no damage to the timing belt. The gear melted into the timing cover. He replaced the timing belt simply because he says it is the proper thing to do.

Hope this helps!

Nanci E.
30 psi difference is not good, but it should start. If it's the idler pulley on the timing belt you got lucky. Usually when they seize, the belt fries and you jump timing ruining some valves. You must have heard a bad noise and turned it off in time. I wonder if it could have taken something out like a cam position sensor. Let me look into this a little more. I'll pull up some diagrams.

ProAutoTech
Hi! I was wondering if you guys had come up with anything new that could be helpful to us. Thank you!

Nanci E.
The timing could be 180 degrees out on the cam. Make sure when he timed the cam that the intake valve on #1 opened, and then closed just before finding the timing mark for the cam top dead center. It sounds like the car ran before the timing belt was replaced. From what you have told me it sounds like that is the problem. R it could have been reassembled wrong. I remove all of the spark plugs when timing a motor so it's easier to turn over, it's unlikely but maybe the plug wires are on the wrong plugs.

ProAutoTech