PONTIAC FIREBIRD ALTERNATOR PROBLEM

1992 Pontiac Firebird • 142,734 miles

I changed my alternator in my firebird. And now its like my car dies and the headlights dim out and get bright kind of like its being surged. I then changed the belt. And the battery terminals. But still doing it. Please help me figure out what else it could be.

Check voltage across BATT terminals engine running should be 14.5 to 15.1 steady

Docfixit
I did that. The voltage is 14.58 the voltage is good. When I put the brakes on its surges. Like the voltmeter drops to thirteen and my rpms drop like its ready to stall out. At night when the lights are on the car will actually stall out. And every now and then the idle goes up which makes my rpms almost at 2

Davebeardsley
Check BATT voltage car off if 12.45 or higher then new Alt is crapola

Docfixit
Did that.I have swapped alternators twice thinking the same thing. I had alternator bench testedit come back good had batt tested 4 times. The alternator is charging the battery.

Davebeardsley
Is it possible to blow up the computer jumping my car. Not sure with a 92 if u can damage the computer jumping it like u can with the newer cars. But when my old alternator crapped out I jumped the car to see if it was the alternator. And as soon as I put my lights on it shut off like it should with a bad alternator. So not sure if I damaged the computer. I even checked fuses to see if a fuse blew jumping the car but all fuses are good.

Davebeardsley
Should be three wire on ALT two in connecter and BATT to lug test voltage engine off should have on big red to lug and on one in connecter

Docfixit
The voltage out of there should be a steady 14.5 correct?

Davebeardsley
No batt voltage

Docfixit
What should the volts be testing the wire to make sure there is voltage going to the alternator. Since my idle increases and decreases. Could my iac valve gone bad as well. The car never acted like this till the alternator crapped out.

Davebeardsley