WHY WONT IT QUIT DINGING!!!!

1992 Plymouth Acclaim • 86,000 miles

I hooked up an after market stereo and took it out because I didnt like how it looked so I put the stock stereo back in and it keeps dinging like the damn door is open at all times, how do I take care of this?
DrAMP14

First thing is to see if it's really the door ajar that's causing it or something else. Do the interior lights and dash lights work? Open each door, one at a time, and push the button to see if the dinging stops.

No doors open nothin it just dings while you drive and the light around the ignition stays on. Could the clips in the back of the radio be backwards?

DrAMP14
Of course the doors are closed. That's not the issue. You have to open one door at a time then physically push the switch closed to see if the dinging stops. If it does, I'll describe how to readjust that switch. If none of them make the dinging stop, then we have to move on to less common causes.

Its the driver side door switch

DrAMP14
Dandy. There's two different styles shown for that year. Does your switch look like this one from Rock Auto?

Yes sir

DrAMP14
Wonderful. This is going to sound complicated but it's really pretty easy to fix. The switch is self-adjusting and it has become over-adjusted. See all those ribs on the body, (red bracket)? You'll notice your switch is only showing half of them or less. Use a flat blade screwdriver under the round mount, (blue arrows), to pop the switch out. Unplug the connector. Tie a knot in the wires or put a kink in 'em so the plug doesn't fall inside the car. If it does, you'll have to pull the trim panel apart to retrieve it.

To move the body in the mount is just hard enough that you can't do it by hand. I use a deep well socket, about a 3/4" or 13/16" as I recall, and set the mount on it, (blue arrows), with the connector end sticking up. The red o-ring end will be inside the socket. Use a small hammer, wrench, or block of wood to hit the connector end. That will move the switch body out on the mount. Reconnect the wiring and pop the switch back in the door pillar. It will feel loose until it adjusts, and it will readjust to the correct setting when you close the door.

To give it a little extra insurance it will stay there, I used to add a small dab of silicone gasket sealer around the first few ribs, THEN close the door for the first time. When it adjusts, that sealant will go inside and set up where it will make it harder for the switch to over-adjust if someone slams the door too many times.

Thanks! Maybe you could help me with my truck question I just posted today

DrAMP14
I don't see your user name in my list of unanswered questions so it appears someone else has that one handled.

They answered it but not the question I asked

DrAMP14