WHERE IS THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH LOCATED ON MY ?

1992 Plymouth Acclaim • 150,000 miles

The brake lights are stuck on all the time even when the car is shut off, in park, and keys removed. I have to remove the fuse so the battery doesn't die. I can't get my car legal to drive until I find this thing and replace it, only thing is I can't find where the switch is at! Everyone says its above the break pedal but I cant find it anywhere. Please help.
PlymouthAcclaimGuy

Yup. Behind the pedal. Here's a picture from rockauto. Com:

Thank you for the fast response. I will look for it again when I go out to mess with the car. I've seen pictures of the part before but I just can't locate it in the car its self. Thanks again!

PlymouthAcclaimGuy
Ok I know it's been months but I'm just getting around to fixing that piece of crap. I found the brake light switch, or at least the wires for it. There is NOTHING behind the brake pedal. Just the break pedal itsself. The wire leads up through the wiring harness and it's all wrapped in with the other wires like it came from the factory. I unplug it and the brake lights and tail lights go out. Can you give me any information on this please? I can take a pictures and attach them if needed. Thank you.

PlymouthAcclaimGuy
Nevermind the tail lights don't go out when I unplug it just the brake lights.

PlymouthAcclaimGuy
So are you still having a problem? Is the switch button getting pressed by the brake pedal arm when it's released?

Yeah I see the part in the picture you posted, but that black box thing is not anywhere near the pedal. I can't find it at all. I found the plug with the six prongs and unplugged it and the brake lights went out, but the wires from it lead up into the dash and are all wrapped with the other wires. I'm completely confused.

PlymouthAcclaimGuy
I guess a picture might help. It sounds like the switch came apart and the plunger isn't turning it off.

Will you be on for a few minutes? I'll go take a picture right now and post it.

PlymouthAcclaimGuy
Crap, my girlfriend took the digital camera with her in her purse. I will take a picture in the morning and post it when I get up, could you possibly check back to take a look and I will hopefully get this car on the road.

PlymouthAcclaimGuy
Yup. I'm always checking back every few minutes between about noon and 4: 00 a.M, except when I take a nap and my head hits the desk! I get an automated e-mail to direct me back here when you add a reply.

Page 1 of 2